In a video titled “9 Signs Your Partner Doesn’t Respect You” on YouTube, Mel Robbins discusses the behaviors that signify a lack of respect in a relationship. Warning signs include lying, silent treatment, using insecurities against the partner, and name-calling. She also emphasizes the importance of healthy categories in a long-lasting partnership, namely awareness, conflict resolution, shared values, and connection. Robbins urges individuals to call out boundary-crossing behaviors and see if their partner makes positive changes, but also notes that manipulative behaviors and lying will always be a problem and should not be ignored. Ultimately, the formula for a healthy and committed relationship involves self-awareness, self-worth, self-confidence, and self-love, and the ability to identify disrespectful behaviors and act accordingly.
- (00:00:00) In this section, the speaker discusses the four categories that she believes make a healthy and long-lasting partnership, including awareness, conflict resolution, shared values, and connection. She stresses the importance of identifying and flagging any behavior that may attack one of these pillars such as lying, which cuts to the core of trust and respect in a relationship. It is important to understand these categories and their significance because dismissing certain behaviors, no matter how small they may seem, can ultimately lead to the destruction of the relationship.
- (00:05:00) In this section, the YouTuber discusses four behaviors that signify a partner’s lack of respect in a relationship. Firstly, lying is non-negotiable, no matter the degree of the lie. Secondly, giving the silent treatment is manipulative, disrespectful and immature, and should not be tolerated in a loving partnership. Thirdly, using one’s insecurities or flaws against them is the opposite of connection and respect, and it can be considered abusive. Lastly, name-calling, even if meant as a joke, is not a form of connection, and if one’s partner continues despite being asked to stop, it is grounds for ending the relationship.
- (00:10:00) In this section, the speaker highlights several warning signs that indicate that your partner doesn’t respect you. One of the key signs is if your partner interrupts you or talks down to you, as this signals that they don’t care about your thoughts or opinions. It’s also a concern if your partner is controlling or doesn’t allow you to have independence, as this can lead to trust issues and an unhealthy relationship dynamic. Moreover, if your partner is making big decisions without consulting you or constantly invalidating how you feel, it’s a sign that there’s no real connection in the relationship. These warning signs should not be overlooked, as they can lead to bigger issues down the line.
- (00:15:00) In this section, Mel Robbins emphasizes the importance of boundaries in a relationship and the signs that someone is disrespecting them. Some examples of boundary-crossing behaviors include invading personal space, pressuring someone to do something they don’t want to do, taking money without permission, and speaking in a demeaning way. Robbins notes that calling out these behaviors and seeing positive changes, such as a partner working hard to improve themselves and respecting boundaries, can lead to a healthier and more fulfilling relationship. On the other hand, manipulative behaviors and lying will always be a problem and should not be ignored.
- (00:20:00) In this section, the speaker discusses the importance of being truthful with your partner and the significance of self-awareness, self-worth, self-confidence, and self-love in building a healthy relationship together. She emphasizes the breakthroughs that can be had when calling out disrespectful behaviors, but also notes that if there is pushback or nastiness, it may be time to exit the relationship. Ultimately, the formula for a healthy and committed relationship involves awareness, problem-solving, values, and connection.